» DDO Application - RixSosltice
Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:07 am by Commodore

» Kyrsha Morgaine - 25 wiz
Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:36 am by Commodore

The Tyrs Paladium Story

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Tyrs Paladium Story

Post  Commodore on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:28 am

Paksenarian and I have been asked for the Tyrs Paladium story for many years.  What does Tyrs Paladium stand for? We've been planning to tell this story for a long time, but felt we couldnt do that until we came up with the perfect story.  For the first time I addressed it tonight, when AmazingProton, a Tyrs Neverwinter guildie inquired what our guild name stands for.

So, first I will post what I feel has been what Tyrs Paladium has stood for over the past four years.  Second, and perhaps most exciting, we'd like to ask all our guildies from DDO to Neverwinter to write your personal version of what our guild name means, and or what we have stood for as a guild.  Please write away, and Paksenarion and I will pick our favorite story, so we can share it with guildies for years to come.

We feel this isnt our guild but yours... therefore we'd like our family to decide how our story will be best told.  Good luck and we look forward to reading the replies!!

My reply:

To give you as good an answer as I can - we have never officially given our story behind the choosing of Tyrs Paladium.  I'll say that the name was thought up by the DDO guild leader's ex boyfriend (who played a paladin), while his girlfriend (Paksenarian, also a paladin), and myself built up and managed the guild to what it is today.  We have instead promoted our guild based on one simple belief, we are a haven for those who embody camaraderie. We back it up on forums and in game, by adhering to our own guild rules, and enforcing them.

Getting back to our name, we clearly have a story to tell, and we've always believed we have a great name that represents what we stand for as a guild.  Tyr is the Faerûnian deity of Law and Justice.  Since we have been in the position many times in game and on the DDO forums and even a few times on the Neverwinter forum already, to define why we care so much to defend honest play and camaraderie, and made it our mission to create a family of gamers that can together as a team accomplish ANYTHING the elitist/all raid guilds accomplish, in an environment that's friendly, relaxed, fun and addicting. We started as a small guild that was told we'd never make it as a guild 4 years ago by those who thought we were just a gimp group of gamers. These small group of folks were elitists/exploiting segments from several guilds that were known for harboring exploiters to "win DDO" at any costs.  I was a vocal supporter on the DDO forums for our style of play and "went after" exploiters.  Meanwhile in game, we were a fun relaxed group that had fun and welcomed ANYONE who was willing to follow our no drama/no zerg policies.  By promoting our guild in this way we became a group folks wanted to join.  Today, we remain one of the largest mid sized, longest lasting guilds in DDO.  Why do I say mid sized?  Because we have been extremely selective in who we hire. We hire on personality only.  Its our guildies that should get the credit for our guild's reputation that they earned.  Paks and I were there leading the way in the beginning, and throughout when necessary, but its our guildies today that lead the way. It's because of them why we became successful.

Paladium.  The word Paladium is a play on Palladium... which we feel embodies a group of like minded people that come together to relax and have a good time.

So from that information given, I hope that gives you a decent idea what we are all about.  That being said, look forward to a new thread in the Tavern where we ask guildies to give their own take on what Tyrs Paladium stands for!

Aandre

Last edited by Commodore on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:45 am; edited 2 times in total

Aandre (Fighter) - Mississippee (Spellsinger) - Gharrick (Warchanter) - Miinsc (Artificer) - Dogfaced (Intimitank) - Comodore (Ranger) - Corkee (Monk) - Joltin (Ranger) - Loca (Rogue) - LeslieWest (Fighter) - Frobozz (Wizard) - RicFlair (Cleric) - Pappalardi (Paladin) - Govvanon (Druid) - VicTwenty (Fighter) - Hyperiion (FvS).
Commodore
Tyrs High Council - Tyrs DDO Chapter Guild Second/Co-Founder - Tyrs Webmaster and Recruiter
Tyrs High Council - Tyrs DDO Chapter Guild Second/Co-Founder - Tyrs Webmaster and Recruiter

http://tyrspaladium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

My first draft

Post  AmazingProton on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Tyrs Paladium

Long ago, a terrible evil was perceived through the visions of the elder races of Faerun. This relentless storm of darkness engulfed the land as a wildfire spreads through an open plain of dead grass; it was an age of darkness. The darkness allowed evil to walk openly on the surface world, and do as they pleased...monsters pillaged, and ravaged every town and city. Many of the deities were losing supporters every day as a dark insanity crept into the minds of every man, woman, and child. Evil emperors now sat upon the thrones of beloved kings. All hope seemed lost.

It was up to a mighty band of adventuring heroes to bring back the hope of a free world. They fought gallantly, and raised an army to oppose the dark lords who began to gain power. In every new town they encountered, the gleam of their armor sparked hope that justice will be served. And through the guidance of Tyr, the god of Justice and order, these heroes cleaved a path of honor, courage, and integrity through the fog of evil that surrounded them. They were unstoppable.

The evil empire began to crumble...one by one, dark kingdoms fell, and in their place, righteous kings were appointed. But it was not over yet...Lolth had other plans. Her followers regrouped and formed an invasion force like no other...She planned to strike the heart of the resistance. All her evil was bent on destroying the heroes of Tyr.

Things weren't looking so good when Lolth's army began to retake the world. Tyr then sent godly gifts to his heroes who fought so hard to restore balance. Knighting them as Paladins, Tyr gifted each of his appointed heroes with weapons and gear made of Palladium; an ancient metal so rare that some say it was forged by the races of the stars. Light and indestructible, the group, now called Tyr's Paladium gained a profound sense of duty to see Tyr's will carried out.

Like a blinding beam of light cutting through the darkness, the heroes of Tyr hacked and slashed their way to Lolth's temple and defeated the Overlord who represented Lolth; a gigantic, Spider-like monstrosity unlike any other. With the new armor, the heroes were unstoppable, and the monster soon came toppling over and all the forces of Lolth scattered; many returned to the Underdark as the new rays of the Sun began to burn and blind.

Hope was restored, and the world became balanced. The heroes eventually grew old and their heroic journeys retold to every generation thereafter. The Guild, Tyrs Paladium, now follows their footsteps to provide Law and Justice to those who need it. They care for the innocent, and smite those who will not change for the better. They continue to live Tyr's philosophy and ensure peace to all.

My version... If you can expand, edit, or alter these events to sound much more fitting... I welcome all to give it their go.

Last edited by AmazingProton on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
AmazingProton

Back to top Go down

Re: The Tyrs Paladium Story

Post  Commodore on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Wow, very nice Amazing! Very Happy

Aandre (Fighter) - Mississippee (Spellsinger) - Gharrick (Warchanter) - Miinsc (Artificer) - Dogfaced (Intimitank) - Comodore (Ranger) - Corkee (Monk) - Joltin (Ranger) - Loca (Rogue) - LeslieWest (Fighter) - Frobozz (Wizard) - RicFlair (Cleric) - Pappalardi (Paladin) - Govvanon (Druid) - VicTwenty (Fighter) - Hyperiion (FvS).
Commodore

Back to top Go down

:D

Post  AmazingProton on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it... I read too many fantasy books... and for some reason, the way I wrote it, I was thinking it in my head as the Opening words to The Lord of the Rings.. the Elf (lady Galadriel) talking about the rings... that voice I used to narrate this story.
AmazingProton

Back to top Go down

Post  Thairos on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Overall I love it. I'll let the truly creative types come up with the rich naratives (like AmazingProton's excellent work). That's not my forte. Smile

I really liked the use of the word Paladium and wanted to focus on that for just a second. From wikipedia:

"By analogy, a "palladium" is anything believed to provide protection or safety; a safeguard"

I love this; very fitting. And Commodore ties it in well.

Commodore wrote:Paladium. The word Paladium is a play on Palladium... which we feel embodies a group of like minded people that come together to relax and have a good time.

So, my only thought is to focus Commodore's statement a little tighter into the protection/safeguarding aspect.

So perhaps "provides a safe haven for like minded people that come together to relax and have a good time."

Or something.

Thairos - 25 Artificer (TR) * Khryll  - 25 Radiant Servant * Jarkxle - 25 Arcane Archer Virtuoso *  Jaherian - 25 Arcane Archer Season's Herald * Terralor - 17 Tempest
Thairos
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathtoast on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:49 pm

While I was reading your post AmazingProton I had Lord of the Rings music playing and I clapped at the end. Bravo Sadly I was sitting in a library and I got a number of strange looks and a "Shhhh" from the librarian. Still awesome though!

Growing old is manditory. Growing up is optional.
Deathtoast

Back to top Go down

Post  AmazingProton on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it.. Please, if you see anything you want to edit or change to sound better, do so... I encourage everyone to build upon this story and make it a Guild Event.. if a single story created by the collective consciousness of a Guild in motion.... we will craft a story worthy of R.A. Salvatore's attention!
AmazingProton

Back to top Go down

Post  gillrmn on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 pm

I was going to write it before, but with so many things coming together, I had to wait before I could start on this. I guess tonight I can give it a try Smile

~~~~START
Long before the malady which was spellplague struck these lands, a diety walked amongst mortal. He was celebrated not because of his strength but because of his sense of justice. The maimed god was always ready to sacrifice power if that would ensure security of the living in the realms. Paladins, knights and clerics looked upon him with equal respect for his sense of justice. Unlike other gods, his most famous legend was not of his strength or his power, or winning a duel - but was of sacrificing his hand to a demon wolf to ensure that there be no bloodshed. Giving up his hand meant he protected not only the world from tyranny of war, but also the chaotic wolf from a treacherous fate.

Power is not needed for true strength and neither do justice requires perception. Tyr was the embodiment of these two ideas. And so mortals in the image of Tyr were influenced by the dedication and wisdom of a foreign deity. Tyr was solemn knowing that true utopia can never be found for the realms are fallible, but he preached and showed that the pursuit of justice, pursuit of that utopia is pursuit of happiness.

The group influenced by his ideals and example took a solemn oath to protect and made a list of rules never to be broken.

1. Grieving is an enemy. For grief blinds you from true solution.
  2. Passiveness is an enemy. One must inquire regularly for when one can be of use.
  3. Discord is an enemy. Only the wisest and oldest will resolve disputes.
  4. Greetings are a friend. One must greet the other when meeting.
  5. Death is imminent. One must remember one's days and their friends which they get to protect good in this world.
  6. Meetings are a friend. One must know one's friend before one entrusts them with the rules.
  7. Politeness is a friend. It brings out troubles a person faces so that those can be solved.
  8. Propaganda is an enemy. One must seek one's own path in life - whether the right one or wrong.
  9. Abandonment is an enemy. You must never abandon a life.
  10. Friendship is a friend. To face death, one must have friends by their side.
  11. Trickery is an enemy. It corrupts the soul.
  12. Discrimination is an enemy. There is a reason Tyr is blind.
  13. Fear is an enemy. When unable to move ahead, one must convey it without fear.
  14. Pride is an enemy. For it veils you from truth and active .
  15. Self-preservation is a friend. There is a reason you must save your real life first.
  16. Tyr is omnipresent. The rules apply everywhere.
  17. Spliting up is an enemy. You must never leave the friends to follow personal goals.
  18. Name is a friend. Names reflect you so let them reflect your pure and proper self.
  19. Happiness is a friend. Path to true happiness lies in friendship.

It is said that when the true gods of the old died, they left palladium which protected their people even after their death. This was Tyr's Palladium. The people which they usually protected were poor people who were powerless to hire mercenaries, less educated and less fortunate brethren. Hence the name which was popularized by their protectorate had deformed spellings - Tyrs Paladium.

With the fall of Tyr, his defeating Helm and his subsequent death due to his repentance, the group never gave up the ideals for what it stood. Tyrs Paladium truly became Tyr's Palladium after his death.

So it was believed, so it was said and so it was true. The ages past after the spellplague, the tradition has once again been revived after hundred of years. The age of conspiracy, the age of silent usurpation, an age where paladins are no longer incorruptible, one thing has not changed and that is the Palladium of Tyr. No, it must always be known as Tyrs Paladium - for they are no mercenaries or knights with golden armor. They are truly strong paladins of common people at heart.

And so Tyrs Paladium has once again became protector of the unprotected and justiciar for unjust.

Evil beware! For your days are numbered. And for rest, rejoice, for we will find the utopia.
~~~~~~~END

ok just for lulz, here is the utopia's true form ;P
VALHALLA!!!

Last edited by gillrmn on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : List was not appearing)

gillrmn

Back to top Go down

Post  gillrmn on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Palladium I used was:-

Athena made a Palladium which was a statue which would protect the people. Hence Palladium was a statue made by gods to protect the people on earth when gods are not around.

Tyr is dead, but this is Tyr's Palladium - who still protects the people in absence of Tyr.

EDIT:
p.s. copied the rules from paks post on guild rules and changed their wording to old form.
p.s. sacrificing his hand means tyr's sacrificed his hand (hand represents strength). Without eyes means without discrimination (aka statue of justice)

gillrmn

Back to top Go down

Post  Paks on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:29 pm

gillrmn wrote:p.s. copied the rules from paks post on guild rules and changed their wording to old form.

I like it! The naming rule was, unfortunately, because of some really inappropriate things that got through the filter.

Paks~Pally; Kyro~Ranger(TR); Kiyla~Pally(TR); Shar~Spellsinger/AA(TR); Bel~ArchMage; Kat~Arcane Archer(TR); Lyartia~Cleric; Tyrsis~Mechanic(TR); Shyalla~Arcane Kensai; HaukeMoon~Monk; Kyllarr~Fire Savant; Ayedail~Tempest Ranger; Kaensada~FvS; Taymyrr~Assassin(TR); Androimeda~Artificer; Kamariel~Henshin; Thanatuss~PaleMaster; Riaen~SwashBuckler

NWO(@paks54): Paks~Devoted Cleric; Taymyrr~Trickster Rogue; Akat'ten~Devoted Cleric; Kyro~Control Wizard; Katrya~Hunter Ranger; Nykyrian~Hunter Ranger; Saraphine~Scourge Warlock

Paks
Tyrs High Council - Tyrs DDO Chapter Guild Leader/Founder - Guild Banker DDO/NWO
Tyrs High Council - Tyrs DDO Chapter Guild Leader/Founder - Guild Banker DDO/NWO

Back to top Go down

Post  Commodore on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Awesome Gill! Damn....

Come on Tyrs DDO chapter, got to be SOMEONE who can churn out some Tyrs Paladium lore for us! Remember we know who the RP'ers are, and who the readers are!! Wink

Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  pms on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:28 pm

just holding a place - letting ideas flow...

had the strangest interests in high school - was near top of class in both math and en-ga-dish Smile while also running Cross Country in fall - and Track & Field in spring (specialized in pole vaulting...an injury while practicing at college level ended that pursuit). No regrets and no perm. injury - but when someone unplugs the air mattress you land on and you fall clean through to hard-packed dirt from 13+ feet up - I had an epiphany that there must be something else I could be doing Shocked

did not want to teach as, unfortunately, the salaries have not kept up with the economy (and yes, I also considered writing for TSR back in the day).

so got degree in computer information systems.

However, with over 30 years of growing up with fantasy and science-fiction running through my mind - I think I'm gonna have to bust loose here...

I REALLY like both offerings a lot - but there is a tad-bit too much FR related reference to let it apply for both worlds / realms. Hope to get everything in place this weekend (work is a necessary evil) - with it being rich enough in content to appeal to both Eberron and Toril (post Spellplague).

pms
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  pms on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Here's the start - Thank you AmazingProton for bumping the initial thought - and much credit goes to Tolkein. Forgive me for having a strange memory (or one extremely filled with Fantasy novels).

... ghostly whispers stir across the limitless cosmos

their echoes creating light refracted and reflected in myriad colors along the void

~and oracles of elder races, religions, and existences outside of what you or I could perceive feebly attempt to comprehend those whispers - in dreams - in visions - in bizarre rituals alien to our understanding...

But what are they, truly? Whispers among the gods themselves, echoes of cataclysmic events, the awakening of thoughts projected out of the void, or something else?

This we do accept...

Long ago, a terrible evil was perceived through the visions of the elder races.
A relentless storm of darkness engulfed the land as a wildfire spreads through an open plain of dead grass; it was an age of darkness. The darkness allowed evil to walk openly on the surface world, and do as evil pleased...

Many deities were lost, some forgotten with their worshipers wandering listlessly as a dark insanity crept into the minds of every man, woman, and child. Evil emperors sat upon the thrones of once beloved kings. Hope was a dream far from reality.

But dreams have ways of altering reality - an ethereal quality that transcends worlds - and people. For in each world, a mighty band of heroes sought to bring back hope - not comprehending the same “play” was being staged in all existence. They fought gallantly - raising armies to oppose the dark lords who gained power. In every town they encountered, the gleam of their armor, their strength of conviction, and refinement of their abilities - sparked hope that justice would be served.

And through the guidance of the god of Justice and order, these heroes cleaved a path of honor, courage, and integrity through the fog of evil that surrounded them. For ‘twas the same aspect that led them, known by many names – Donblas, Paladine, Chung Kuel, Forseti, and Tyr to name but a few.

The evil empires began to crumble...one by one, dark kingdoms fell, and in their place, righteous kings were appointed. But as history is wont to do – time deals deathly hands...

For the younger races forget things with their shortened life spans - as is their way; these “heroes“ of old passing into history as did their deeds, their ideals, and their morays.

Which brings us nearer to our time…

Of wars and portents thereof – of brother turning against brother – of races and individuals with cruel intent bent upon the exploitation of innocents. It would seem that old things have once again returned and dark deeds begin to rule.

…But fate sometimes changes the hand that time deals as is the case of a young paladin…named Paksanarion:

In the dank, dark, murky depths of an ancient and abandoned Dwarven Temple, whose original reverence remains lost to time, a set of tablets is uncovered containing a language of runes not seen upon Eberron or Toril. The sanctity of the tablets is impressed upon Paks such that she hides the tablets while proclaiming to learn the language and what the tablets mean; for although all the tablets held the same reverent aura – only one contained visible runes.

Being reverent and true, our young paladin leaves abruptly on a self-claimed sabbatical and disappears from amongst her closest friends.

After numerous inquiries and many weeks, one friend in particular, Commodore by name – gathers all friends in a desperate quest to find the missing Paladin. A sizable number respond to the call (Where in the world is Paks?) and examine first, the humble domicile in which she lived. Scattered among texts, scrolls, and manuscripts littering every surface – is a scroll containing the following runes:

(Sorry – freehand of Tolkein’s Dwarfish runes – translate and you will see where this is going)

No other clues presented themselves, so the brave friends were forced to pray, patiently wait, and address the riddle Paks left as they were inclined. Catastrophe awaited any that attempted more... including the documented example of a mysterious artificer arriving and attempting to implode Commodore’s abode from within – destroying all evidence concerning Paks possible whereabouts and the script found.

But truly, where was Paksanarion, our paladin heroine…?

And, is there some connection between the tablets and Lolth’s invasion / tearing of the Rift – in Eberron?

TBC
Part 1 of ?

pms
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  pms on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:10 pm

onwards we go

One nights’ sleep – it’s all she wanted
But too little to be had even when starting upon an Epic journey

-for that same night, the one in which she proclaimed to learn the runic language the tablets hinted at, a visitor interrupted any thought of peaceful sleep. It wasn’t a painful interruption, though ghostly visitors tend to interrupt that way – and it wasn’t a lovers’ serenade, either. But a Dwarven Cleric – not ‘mostly’ dead but all the way so, stood at the foot of her bed singing the following in deep, somber tomes

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
You must away ere break of day
To see wisdom of ancient mold

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep
In hollow halls, there lore old dwells

On silver runes, tablets were strung
For aligned stars, the hidden rung
Like Dragon Fire, and Undead Bier
They meshed the light of moon and sun

For ancient king and exploited lord
Did wrought much evil with their sword
They shaped and wrought and gild they bought
To hide in guile and acts untoward

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
To claim wisdom of ancient mold

Weapons they carved there for themselves
Lances in places where no man delves
Warforged by name to serve in war
Or Ring of the One, corrupt held

The pines were roaring on the height
The winds were moaning in the night
The fire was blue, the flaming spread
The spellplague like torches, lands alight

The bells were ringing in men’s mind
Undead pale faces begin to grind
As hidden fire stirs men’s ire
Beneath their feet no longer in bind

The mountains smoked beneath the moon
The dwarves, they heard the trump of doom
They fled their hall to dying fall
Mabar’s fell light, Neverwinter’s Doom

Far over the misty mountains grim
To dungeons deep and caverns dim
To win our hearts, fore they go dim

Young Paladin, both righteous and true, have you kept the tablets safe?

Affectionately, Paks first comments are “F.. You”; known by many as a cordial “how do you do?”

Then she says “yes” and “where shall I start?” while the ghost, we’ll call him “Narration,” gives her a curious look and answers – “Start at the beginning, of course.”

Between mumbled curses, armor donned, tablets wrapped in cloth, and a travel pack thrown over one shoulder - Away she goes, down a dusty path, destination determined by placing one foot in front of the next.

TBC
Part 2 of ?

Last edited by pms on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : keeping same font color as part 1)

pms
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Commodore on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:47 pm

PMS you are doing amazing with this story!

Last edited by Commodore on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  pms on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:37 pm

I understand that - cut out a lot of the "prose" and should still have a short version. Once starting it, though, I have to let it play out. I'm enjoying the read as I write it - since a LOT of things are laced into it.

pms
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Commodore on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:25 pm

yeah keep going if you wish I'm enjoying it! You cant lose, everyone's story will be seen and read.

Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post  pms on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 pm

OK - so originally, I was going to work with 20 stone tablets (one that said guild name and one for each of the rules) with Paks subjected to all sorts of abuse Very Happy
for each tablet / part.

But, I have engineered a way to reduce this to 2 more parts...part 3 is all but written, however, the transition eluded me for awhile (original tries seemed "too" chopped up for me). Still may be choppy, but had to represent name of "Tyrs" knowing it was in no part reflective of that particular god in the realms...

should have it and be well on way with part 4 this week...

Part 3:
“Damn Narration”

Just as the gods, he answers questions with questions or ambiguous drivel…

…”Damn Narration” and “darned this trail of dust I travel – to who the F%$@ knows!”

“OK – start at the beginning” – that’s what Narration said…”beginning of what? ..uuugh!”

Narration mentioned something about spellplague in the song – that affected Faerun – Eveningstar is a place in Faerun, in the Cormyrian lands - now joined to Stormreach via Lolth’s intrusion.

Eveningstar has an Inn – with this dark brew served day long – a strong, hearty drink without spirits…most needed to continue this journey.

Lo and behold, but Elminster is here, at the Inn – referring to the dark brew as something called “coffee,” but, we’ll deem it the “nectar of the gods.” He takes an interest in my plight and agrees that the beginning seems to be associated with the spellplague now a century gone in Faerun.
“I’ve little advice, cept’n the steps you travel are not to be mine – but mind ye, the stones – there’s an old magic in them and they will not reveal their natures to me.” “Have fun, mind ye.”

Coffee in flask, Paks travels onward, down into a cavern containing several portals. As she nears one, closely tied to Faerun – one of the stones in Paks pack glows – and before she has a chance –

Alice falls down a rabbit-hole (err, actually Paks through a portal).

Paks growls out several curses as, once again, she is thrown around as a pawn upon a god’s chess table, and passes out.

When she comes to, she finds herself stretched out upon a bed of clover on a high cliff’s ledge – and that her flask is intact and still warm. Taking a swallow, she examines her surroundings; there is a strong breeze – carrying an acrid smell – both in her backpack and in the air - and across a lake, or what was clearly a lake at one time. A curious sight, this – blue shroud crackling with magic travelling away. No words can describe it – it must be the spellplague or a piece of it.

“OK – I’m here! …and I’ve had just about enough. I want to figure out the secrets of the tablets, not be thrown around and shown history. Let me fight something – anything other than be lead on a leash. Narration – why have I been brought here?”

The somber dwarf becomes more substantial and stands beside Paksanarion.

{sigh} “Two truths and many messages come from this young paladin – Firstly, Before the times when ‘human’ gods made an appearance (there was naught of them a millennia ago) – ohh yes, chaos & law, good & evil existed, but deity was natural – Primordial – ‘earthly’ if you will.

“All worlds with a similar beginning – experienced a similar outcome with the birth of the race of man.”

“For some worlds, gods disappeared for a time – on others, the new race caused the need / introduction of ‘new’ gods for their worship; whole pantheons were reformed and ‘new’ aspects of godhood abounded. But, like the humans they became representative of, many of these gods were shallow, petty, and jealous.”

“The Spellplague storm you bear witness to is one of many physical manifestations caused by the human gods’ upheaval when the goddess of magic, Mystra, was assassinated in a plot orchestrated by various evil human gods. The entire pantheon vomited, so to speak, and exposed a weakness or sickness within itself – and the vacuum of power(s) interrupted the multiverse. It was during this time that Tyr was lost.

But the word “Tyr” became synonymous with many things – Justice, both ‘blind’ and normal, Sacrifice, and symbolized by the 'Scales of Law'. “

“Secondly, you awoke on the edge of a high cliff…with your will to fight and knowing your strength of passion – Please describe what you feel…”

Paksanarion moves toward the edge of the cliff and stands quietly for a moment…small movements made to compensate for the strong winds:

[Ideal paraphrased from Drizzt’s philosophy stated in Part II of Neverwinter II – The Enemy of My Enemy]

“Long has it occurred to me that I am a creature of action, of battle and of adventure. In times of peace and calm, I find myself longing for the open road where bandits rule and wild orcs roam. But as time passed, something was missing. There remained a sharp edge missing – a necessary edge that scrapes my skin and keeping me wholly alive…

Anyone who has ever stood on the edge of a cliff understands this. One can bask in the views, and with such a wide panorama, one cannot help but feel the thrill of being a part of something bigger and grander, much like the manner in which the stars pull a soul heavenward to join with the incomprehensible vastness of the universe.

But amid all the beauty and awe-inspiring grandeur, it is the feel of the wind that completes the sensation, particularly if it is a swirling and gusting breeze. For then comes the greater affirmation of life: the sensation of fear, the recognition of how fleeting this entire existence can be.

In the past, battles and adventures – ever turning my eye to the open and dangerous road – was an assumed fulfillment in my life…only recently did I discover that which was truly missing: the thrill of the risk. The edge of that high precipice. Not the risk itself, but the thrill of that risk.

The risk was ever there, I now understand, but for so many years, the thrill of that risk was not because of the untenable price of defeat. For the price of having friends and companions so dear and beloved is …vulnerability.

I can accept the wind blowing Paksanarion from this cliff. Such a price is not too high. But to watch friends and companions fall before me…? Then I am not invincible. Then there is simply the risk, and not the thrill of living on the edge of that dangerous cliff.

No more.

Many of those I deeply cared about are removed from my side, but there are others to find and share the leagues and the fights. In the end, I am left with only one inescapable truth: the joy of the midnight ride, of bargaining at the end of a scimitar, of reckless adventure.
The thrill, the edge of the cliff.”

Narration nods and says – Notice the glow many of the stones now give. You, young paladin, are on the verge of creating a very strong bond. Unlike a traditional paladin – you are not focused upon the fickle will of the gods – but have a true understanding of what your nature, combined with friends and companions, can accomplish.

Last edited by pms on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added part 3)

pms
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer
Tyrs DDO Chapter Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top